Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP): HSEEP is a capabilities- and performance-based exercise program that was established by the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Preparedness Directorate to provide common exercise policy and program guidance that constitutes a national standard for exercises. HSEEP ensures that exercises are scheduled, planned, and evaluated using the same system throughout the country. This includes consistent terminology, design process, evaluation tools, and documentation standards. Use of the HSEEP methodology is only mandatory if federal preparedness money will be used to fund any part of the exercise.
- HSEEP Home Page
- Volume I: HSEEP Overview and Exercise Program Management
- Volume II: Exercise Planning and Conduct
- Volume III: Exercise Evaluation and Improvement Planning
Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Independent Study Online Courses: EMI offers self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public. These classes are useful in providing a background in emergency management, and also provide helpful information on how to conduct exercises. All classes are offered free-of-charge.
- IS-100.b Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100
- IS-130 Exercise Evaluation and Improvement Planning
- IS-139 Exercise Design
- IS-201.a An Introduction to Exercises
- IS-230.a Fundamentals of Emergency Management
- IS-235.a Emergency Planning
- IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS) - An Introduction
National Planning Scenarios: The fifteen all-hazard National Planning Scenarios serve as the foundation for the development of homeland security tasks, target capabilities, and standards and performance metrics against which capabilities and tasks will ultimately be measured. The scenario-derived capabilities and standards serve as a basis for assessing national preparedness; help guide Federal preparedness assistance to State, local, and tribal governments; and assist in development of national exercises and training programs.